On 03/21/2010 12:21 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:
On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 12:11:33PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 03/21/2010 11:55 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 03:19:27PM -0700, Sridhar Samudrala wrote:
When creating a guest with 2 virtio-net interfaces, i am running
into a issue causing the 2nd i/f falling back to userpace virtio
even when vhost is enabled.

After some debugging, it turned out that KVM_IOEVENTFD ioctl()
call in qemu is failing with ENOSPC.
This is because of the NR_IOBUS_DEVS(6) limit in kvm_io_bus_register_dev()
routine in the host kernel.

I think we need to increase this limit if we want to support multiple
network interfaces using vhost-net.
Is there an alternate solution?

Thanks
Sridhar
Nothing easy that I can see. Each device needs 2 of these.  Avi, Gleb,
any objections to increasing the limit to say 16?  That would give us
5 more devices to the limit of 6 per guest.
Increase it to 200, then.

Currently on each device read/write we iterate over all registered
devices. This is not scalable.

Yeah. We need first to drop the callback based matching and replace it with explicit ranges, then to replace the search with a hash table for small ranges (keeping a linear search for large ranges, can happen for coalesced mmio).