On 03/25/2010 05:48 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 08:29:03AM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
We still have a virtio implementation in userspace for file-based images.

In any case, the file APIs are not asynchronous so we'll need a thread
pool.  That will probably minimize the difference in performance between
the userspace and kernel implementations.
The kernel has "real" aio when doing direct I/O, although currently we
can't easily use it from kernelspace.  Thejre's a few people who've been
looking into making it usable for that, though.

Interesting. Are there limitations on supported filesystems, or allocating vs. non-allocating writes?