On 04/08/2010 04:42 PM, Yoshiaki Tamura wrote:

Yes, you can release the I/O from the iothread instead of the vcpu thread.
  You can make virtio_net_handle_tx() disable virtio notifications and
initiate state sync and return, when state sync continues you can call the
original virtio_net_handle_tx().  If the secondary takes over, it needs to
call the original virtio_net_handle_tx() as well.
Agreed.  Let me try it.
Meanwhile, I'll post what I have done including the hack preventing
rip to proceed.
I would appreciate if you could comment on that too, to keep things in
a good direction.

Certainly.