On 04/14/2010 07:20 PM, Avi Kivity wrote:
There is no real distinction between glevels=3 and glevels=4; both have
exactly the same format and the code is treated exactly the same way.  Drop
role.glevels and replace is with role.cr4_pae (which is meaningful).  This
simplifies the code a bit.

As a side effect, it allows sharing shadow page tables between pae and
longmode guest page tables at the same guest page.

  static int kvm_sync_page(struct kvm_vcpu *vcpu, struct kvm_mmu_page *sp)
  {
-       if (sp->role.glevels != vcpu->arch.mmu.root_level) {
+       if (sp->role.cr4_pae != !!is_pae(vcpu)) {
                kvm_mmu_zap_page(vcpu->kvm, sp);
                return 1;
        }

This bit confuses me a little. Why is it needed? It will never hit from mmu_sync_children(), and as for kvm_mmu_get_page(), it will simply zap unrelated pages?

Is it related to the restriction that we can only unsync if we have just one shadow page for a gfn? That's somewhat artificial (and hurts nonpae guests, and guests with linear page tables).