On 05/20/2010 03:24 PM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Avi Kivity<a...@redhat.com>  wrote:
echo 1>/sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/kvm/enable
cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace_pipe>results/trace&
perf will enable the events by itself (no?), so all you need is is the perf
call in the middle.
Yes, it will enable events.  However, I am also generating a
kvm_trace-like log using trace_pipe.  On this box I couldn't get perf
trace working so I used trace_pipe for the kvm_trace-equivalent and
perf stat for the kvm_stat equivalent.

Ah.  There's the new shiny trace_cmd as well.

If you're getting a (binary) trace, runing perf stat is redundant since it contains the same data.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.