I'm trying to convert a physical Windows XP machine into a KVM guest.
All the guides so far mentions using dd to create a flat image file,
then using qemu-img to convert that to qcow2. Since I've been making
mistake here and there, retrying the process several times (initially
converting each logical partition into an image), the question struck
me: is there any reason why I cannot do something like this
qemu-img convert -f /dev/sdc -O qcow2 /images/winxp.qcow instead of
having to do it in two passes which literally take hours each.