2010/11/18 Avi Kivity <a...@redhat.com>:
> On 11/18/2010 12:58 AM, Kenni Lund wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm about to move a couple of virtual machines from a Fedora 11 system
>> to a new server with a more recent operating system and newer version
>> of KVM, etc.
>>
>> One of the guests is a Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2, which is
>> currently running with the "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" HAL.
>>
>> Considering moving to RHEL, I've been reading the virtualization
>> documentation for RHEL 6.0, which says that I need to set HAL to
>> "Standard PC" when installing a new Win2003 guest.
>>
>> Since my current guest has been running perfectly fine for a long time
>> with its current HAL, I was wondering if the system will become
>> unstable, unbootable or what the disadvantage will be, if I move the
>> guest to for example RHEL 6.0, without reinstalling or upgrading the
>> guest to select another HAL mode?
>>
>> On the other hand, it seems like I can "upgrade" from the current
>> "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" into "Standard PC", but I'm not sure if I'll
>> gain anything by trying this.
>>

> I suggest using the default HAL, whatever it is.  That's what everyone else
> is using so you get the best tested configuration.

Thanks Avi, "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" was/is the default HAL, I didn't
change anything when the system was originally installed.

I'm curious why the RHEL 6 documentation claims that you actively need
to select the "Standard PC" HAL on installation, if it's not even the
recommended/preferred HAL...(?):
"Windows 2003 requires a specific computer type in order to install
properly on a fully-virtualized guest. This needs to be specified at
the beginning of the installation process."[1]

[1]
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization_Windows2003.html

Best regards
Kenni