On 12/17/2010 07:43 PM, Zachary Amsden wrote:
On 12/15/2010 10:16 AM, Julien Desfossez wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently working with the kvm clocksource and I'm wondering if we could implement the vread function for this clock source when we are running on a host with constant_tsc. If I understand correctly the hv_clock structure is per_cpu because of the eventual frequency changes, but in the case of constant_tsc (and after validation that the TSC is synchronized across all the cores) I think we could have a working vread function.

In case of migration, could we have a fallback in case we detect we end up on a CPU without constant_tsc ?

Any advice/explanation would be greatly appreciated !

It's a bit more complex than that. In addition to the problem you mention with migration, even if the TSC is synchronized, the kvmclock still is not, even with constant_tsc. There is measurement error in between reading the TSC and computing the per_cpu hv_clock offset which varies between CPUs.

What about using rdtscp?

We could also disable kvmclock if constant_tsc and migration is not desired, or if constant_tsc and the new tsc multiplier on bulldozers is available on all machines in the migration cluster.