On 01/06/2011 12:34 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
Am 06.01.2011 um 11:10 schrieb Zachary Amsden<zams...@redhat.com>:

Use an MSR to allow "soft" migration to hosts which do not support
TSC trapping.  Rather than make this a required element of any
migration protocol, we allow the TSC rate to be exported as a data
field (useful in its own right), but we also allow a one time write
of the MSR during VM creation.  The result is that for the common
use case, no protocol change is required to communicate TSC rate
to the receiving host.

This allows administrative tools to configure migration policy
as they see appropriate.  Rather than dictate this policy with the
KVM implementation, we properly allow migration to hosts which both
do and do not support setting of the TSC rate on the receiving end.
If it is wished to not support migration to a host which lacks
support for the TSC rate feature, that can be coordinated externally.
Isn't there a real hw equivalent of such a register? It might make more sense
to just implement that then.

Unfortunately, no.