On 01/18/11 18:09, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 01/18/2011 10:56 AM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

The device model topology is 100% a hidden architectural detail.
This is true for the sysbus, it is obviously not the case for PCI and
similarly discoverable buses. There we have a guest-explorable topology
that is currently equivalent to the the qdev layout.

But we also don't do PCI passthrough so we really haven't even explored
how that maps in qdev. I don't know if qemu-kvm has attempted to
qdev-ify it.

It is qdev-ified.  It is a normal pci device from qdev's point of view.

BTW: is there any reason why (vfio-based) pci passthrough couldn't work with tcg?

The -device interface is a stable interface. Right now, you don't
specify any type of identifier of the pci bus when you create a PCI
device. It's implied in the interface.

Wrong. You can specify the bus you want attach the device to via bus=<name>. This is true for *every* device, including all pci devices. If unspecified qdev uses the first bus it finds.

As long as there is a single pci bus only there is simply no need to specify it, thats why nobody does that today. Once q35 finally arrives this will change of course.

cheers,
  Gerd