On 02/27/2011 06:27 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

>  Or we can keep the old behaviour.  If KVM_SET_TSS_ADDR hasn't been
>  called by the time of the first entry into real mode (the first
>  KVM_CREATE_VCPU?), use the top of the first slot.

Do we require that KVM_SET_TSS_ADDR is called before first KVM_CREATE_VCPU?
We may still break some theoretical userspaces this way.

The documentation doesn't say, but I think it's unlikely that userspace will start a guest and then configure it.

>  We can avoid the SMP problem by initializing the memory in a single
>  pass, writing each byte exactly once with its final value.  This way
>  concurrent initialization doesn't corrupt an in-use TSS.

Sounds hackish, but may work. Doing so will make entering pmode much
more slow.

Why?  do it at most once per vcpu.