On 04/28/2011 12:22 AM, Roedel, Joerg wrote:
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 03:06:01AM -0400, Jan Kiszka wrote:
And /me still wonders (like I did when this first popped up) if the
proper place of determining TSC stability really have to be KVM.

If the Linux core fails to detect some instability and KVM has to jump
in, shouldn't we better improve the core's detection abilities and make
use of them in KVM? Conceptually this looks like we are currently just
working around a core deficit in KVM.
Yes, good question. Has this ever triggered on a real machine (not
counting the suspend/resume issue in)?

Yes... some platforms don't go haywire until you start using power mangement, TSC is stable before that, but not afterwards, and depending on the version of the kernel, KVM might detect this before the kernel does.

Honestly, the code is obsolete, but still useful for those who build KVM as an external module on older kernels using the kvm-kmod system.

Zach