On 2011-05-09 16:29, Alex Williamson wrote:

>>> Well, that's where it'd be nice if the vga arbiter was actually in more
>>> widespread use.  It currently seems to be nothing more than a shared
>>> mutex, but it would actually be useful if it included backends to do the
>>> chipset vga routing changes.  I think when I was testing this, I was
>>> externally poking PCI bridge chipset to toggle the VGA_EN bit.
>>
>> Right, we had to drop the approach to pass through the secondary card
>> for now, the arbiter was not switching properly. Haven't checked yet if
>> VGA_EN was properly set, though the kernel code looks like it should
>> take care of this.
>>
>> Even with handing out the primary adapter, we had only mixed success so
>> far. The onboard adapter worked well (in VESA mode), but the NVIDIA is
>> not displaying early boot messages at all. Maybe a vgabios issue.
>> Windows was booting nevertheless - until we installed the NVIDIA
>> drivers. Than it ran into a blue screen.
>
> Interesting, IIRC I could never get VESA modes to work.  I believe I
> only had a basic VGA16 mode running in a Windows guest too.
>
>> BTW, what ATI adapter did you use precisely, and what did work, what not?
>
> I have an old X550 (rv380?).  I also have an Nvidia gs8400, but ISTR the
> ATI working better for me.

Is that Nvidia a PCIe adapter? Did it show BIOS / early boot messages
properly?

BTW, we are fighting with a Quadro FX 3800.

>> One thing I was wondering: Most modern adapters should be PCIe these
>> days. Our NVIDIA definitely is. But so far we are claiming to have it
>> attached to a PCI bus. That caps all the extended capabilities e.g.
>> Could this make some relevant difference?
>
> The BIOS and early boot use shouldn't care too much about that, but I
> could imagine the high performance drivers potentially failing.  Thanks,

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. But we will try to confirm this by
tracing the BIOS activities. There is a telling that some adapters do
not allow reading the true cold-boot ROM content during runtime, thus
booting those adapters inside the guest may fail to some degree.

Anyway, I've hacked on the q35 patches until they allowed me to boot a
Linux guest with an assigned PCIe Atheros WLAN adapter - all caps were
suddenly visible. Those bits are now on their way to our test box. Let's
see if they are able to change the BSOD a bit...

Jan