On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi <stefa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Steve Kemp <st...@bytemark.co.uk> wrote:
> If you have SystemTap installed you may wish to use the "dtrace"
> backend instead of "simple".  You can then use SystemTap scripts on
> the probes.  SystemTap is more powerful, it should allow you to
> extract call stacks when probes are fired but I'm not experienced with
> it.

Forgot to add that the __builtin_return_address() gcc extension can be
used to collect return addresses even with the simple trace backend:
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.2/gcc/Return-Address.html#index-g_t_005f_005fbuiltin_005freturn_005faddress-2431

I've used it in the past as a poor man's stack trace when tracking
down memory leaks.

Stefan