On 06/13/2011 07:05 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
I'm planning to use iSCSI targets (over gigabit VLANs) for KVM guest
disks. The question I'm wondering about is whether it's better to md
(multi-path + mirror) the iSCSI targets on the host, then create LVM
partitions for the guests. Or to directly md the iSCSI targets within
the guest.

On one hand I think it would be slower to process the additional
layers in the guest, but on the other hand, readings seems to indicate
that the kernel is able to perform better disk i/o if it's aware of
multiple disks rather than just seeing a single disk.

I've not been able to find any definitive article/data on how these
might balance out. Would anybody in the list have a good idea which
way is better in terms of i/o performance?

My gut feeling is to do iscsi in the host. I guess it's best to measure though. Please post your findings if you do that.