Hello,

My Linux kernel is 2.6.32, and my machine has an Intel e1000 1Gbps
NIC. The Guest OS is Windows XP. I use PCI passthrough to pass the
e1000 NIC to the VM, so Windows XP can directly use this physical NIC
and should has higher performance.

I successfully install Intel PRO/1000 PT driver in XP. Then the NIC
can work, and the performance is not bad (about 700Mbps). However, if
I reboot XP, the strange thing happens. Just after reboot, the NIC can
be used. But if I run some other programs with some IO traffic, no
data can be transferred via this NIC from then on. There are no
abnormal information in Windows event logs, and there are no warnings
or errors for Intel PRO/1000 PT driver in Windows device manager. I
can't ping the VM from any machines. Why doesn't Intel e1000 NIC work
correctly after reboot?

Another strange thing. If I re-install PRO/1000 PT driver, the NIC can
be used again. No matter what applications I run in Guest OS, the NIC
can work well as long as I don't reboot it. But after I reboot the
Guest OS, I must re-install the NIC driver each time, otherwise the
NIC can't work.

Who knows the reason of this strange behavior for e1000 NIC in KVM
Windows environment? Is it driver related? I also use Linux as the
Guest OS, everything is well even I reboot the VM many times.

Thanks a lot!
flypen