On 06/15/2011 03:40 PM, David Ahern wrote:
On 06/15/2011 02:57 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
>  Okay.  If you do anything interesting with it, please let us know.  I
>  only tested the watchdog, 'perf top', and 'perf stat'.

For the following I was using the userspace command from latest
perf-core branch.

cycles H/W event is not working for me, so perf-top did not do much
other than start.

Strange, IIRC it did for me.  I'll re-test.

perf-stat -ddd shows a whole lot of 0's - which is interesting. It means
time enabled and time running are non-0, yet the counter value is 0.
cycles and instructions events also show as not counted

Most of those counters aren't supported by the emulated PMU. What does dmesg say about Perf?

Also, the numbers for branches and branch-misses just seem wrong
compared to the same command run in the host as well as running
perf-stat in the host on the vcpu thread running openssl (with the vcpu
pinned to a pcpu).

Could be due to the fact that the counter is running in host mode. Will be fixed once the exclude_host/exclude_guest patch makes it in (and gains Intel support).