On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Paul <fly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From trace messages, it seemed no interrupts for guest.
> I also tried sysrq, but it didn't work. I doubt that kvm-qemu entered
> some infinite loop.

The fact that a fresh VNC connection to the guest works (but the mouse
doesn't move) means that qemu-kvm itself is not completely locked up.
The VNC server runs in a qemu-kvm thread.

So this seems to be a problem inside the guest that causes it to
consume 100% CPU.

One way to confirm this is to run pidstat(1):
$ pidstat -p $PID 1
11:05:51          PID    %usr %system  %guest    %CPU   CPU  Command
11:06:05        26994   65.00    0.00   98.00  163.00     1  kvm

The %guest value is the percentage spent executing guest code.  The
%usr time is the percentage spent executing qemu-kvm userspace code.
I'm guessing you will see >80% %guest.

In my example I was running while true; do true; done inside the guest :).

Perhaps Avi can suggest kvm_stat or other techniques to discover what
exactly this guest is doing.

Stefan