On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 05:37:37PM +0200, Sasha Levin wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 20:52 +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > Here's the patch series I ended up with.  I haven't coded up the QEMU
> > side yet, so no idea if the new driver works.
> >
> > Questions:
> > (1) Do we win from separating ISR, NOTIFY and COMMON?
> > (2) I used a "u8 bar"; should I use a bir and pack it instead?  BIR
> >     seems a little obscure (noone else in the kernel source seems to
> >     refer to it).
>
> I started implementing it for KVM tools, when I noticed a strange thing:
> my vq creating was failing because the driver was reading a value other
> than 0 from the address field of a new vq, and failing.
>
> I've added simple prints in the usermode code, and saw the following
> ordering:
>
> 1. queue select vq 0
> 2. queue read address (returns 0 - new vq)
> 3. queue write address (good address of vq)
> 4. queue read address (returns !=0, fails)
> 4. queue select vq 1
>
> >From that I understood that the ordering is wrong, the driver was trying
> to read address before selecting the correct vq.
>
> At that point, I've added simple prints to the driver. Initially it
> looked as follows:
>
>       iowrite16(index, &vp_dev->common->queue_select);
>
>       switch (ioread64(&vp_dev->common->queue_address)) {
>               [...]
>       };
>
> So I added prints before the iowrite16() and after the ioread64(), and
> saw that while the driver prints were ordered, the device ones weren't:
>
>       [    1.264052] before iowrite index=1
>       kvmtool: net returning pfn (vq=0): 310706176
>       kvmtool: queue selected: 1
>       [    1.264890] after ioread index=1
>
> Suspecting that something was wrong with ordering, I've added a print
> between the iowrite and the ioread, and it finally started working well.
>
> Which leads me to the question: Are MMIO vs MMIO reads/writes not
> ordered?

First, I'd like to answer your questions from the PCI side.
Look for PCI rules in the PCI spec.
You will notices that a write is required to be able to
pass a read request. It might also pass read completion.
A read request will not pass a write request.
There's more or less no ordering between different types of transactions
(memory versus io/configuration).

That's wrt to the question you asked.

But this is not your setup: you have a single vcpu so
you will not initiate a write (select vq) until you get
a read completion.

So what you are really describing is this setup: guest reads a value,
gets the response, then writes out another one, and kvm tool reports the
write before the read.