Brian wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 04, 2012 11:26:49 AM Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i want to convert a sles 11 sp2 64bit system (running on
> VMWare Server
> > 1.09) to libvirt format. Host OS is SLES 11 SP2 64bit. I tried
> > "virt-convert --os-variant=sles11 sles_11_vmx/ sles_11_kvm/" .
> >
> > This is what i got:
> > Generating output in 'virt-image' format to sles_11_kvm//
> > Converting disk 'tomcat_6.vmdk' to type raw...
> > ERROR    Couldn't convert disks: Disk conversion failed
> with exit status 1:
> > VMDK: Not supported image type "twoGbMaxExtentFlat".
> qemu-img: Could not
> > open '/var/lib/kvm/images/sles_11_vmx/tomcat_6.vmdk': Operation not
> > supported qemu-img: Could not open
> > '/var/lib/kvm/images/sles_11_vmx/tomcat_6.vmdk'
> >
> > It seems that virt-convert does not like the 2GB files form
> VMWare Server.
> >
> > How can i convert my system from VMWare Server 1.09 to
> libvirt format ?
>
> I don't know what libvirt format is, but to get a raw file if
> it's Linux:
> vmware-vdiskmanager -r <source.vmdk> -t 2 <dest.raw>
>
> At least I think that should work... That might still be a
> vmdk file, but it
> should work with qemu-img. You might try -t 0 if you are
> short on space.

Hi Brian,

thanks for your tip, that worked. I did "vmware-vdiskmanager -r source.vmdk -t
2 destination".
Afterwards i changed in the vmx-file of the "old" VM the path of the diskimage
(it still pointed to the old vmdk files, you have to change it to point to the
new raw file). Then i did a "virt-convert --os-variant=sles11 sles_11_vmx/
sles_11_kvm/". Now the new VM is booting. I still have some problems booting
the "new" VM, it does not find the root partition. But that should be easy to
solve.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess und Dr. Nikolaus Blum
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671