On 2012-09-20 19:17, Dean Pucsek wrote:

> On 2012-09-19, at 7:45 AM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kis...@siemens.com> wrote:

>>> Guest debugging works (but not in real mode due to the issue above).
>>
>> That doesn't apply to CPUs with "Unrestricted Guest" support, right? At
>> least I didn't notice any limitations recently. [I did notice some other
>> corner-case issue with guest debugging, still need to dig into that...]
>>
>>> You can set hardware and software breakpoints and kvm will forward them
>>> to userspace, and from there to the debugger.  I'll be happy to help, as
>>> I'm sure Jan (as the author of most of the guest debugging code) will as
>>> well.
>>>

> Is there a roadmap or plan for how the KVM project envisions the debugging
> facilities evolving?

KVM and QEMU are in a pretty good shape now for kernel debugging on x86
- given current boundary conditions. Still we need to do something
because gdb for x86 is not well prepared for system-level debugging. And
those changes will requires some extensions of QEMU in turn.

There are some ideas and early code to add gdb tracepoint support to
QEMU and, possibly, to KVM (as acceleration).

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RTC ITP SDP-DE