On 06.03.2013, at 13:14, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

>>> No, it's not and it shouldn't be. To speak in x86 terms:
>>>
>>>  KVM_SET_IRQCHIP_TYPE spawns LAPICs (indirectly, they only get
>>>  spawned on vcpu creation)
>>>  KVM_CREATE_DEVICE spawns IOAPICs.
>
> Ok, that makes sense.
>
>> Agree. Lumping up in-kernel LAPIC and IRQCHIPS under one in-kernel
>> irqchip umbrella was a mistake on x86. The one we should not force on
>> others.
>
> Alex, would the PPC patches let you run with in-kernel "LAPICs"
> and userspace "IOAPICs"?  If so, the new model would not be a
> problem with QEMU at all.

The split on PPC isn't that clean. The MPIC doesn't split it at all for
example. There we only have an "IOAPIC" without a "LAPIC". So setting the
irqchip type to MPIC would be a nop.

For XICS, we would have something similar to a LAPIC. We would however have to
communicate with that piece to tell it that interrupts are pending or not. I
suppose this might be doable through the ONE_REG interface that Paul
implemented, but I'm not sure.

I don't really think doing such a split makes sense though :).

> The problem would only start if KVM_SET_IRQCHIP_TYPE (new name of
> KVM_CREATE_IRQCHIP_ARGS) forced you to later call KVM_CREATE_DEVICE.

Ah, I see. I don't see why it would. The fact that there is a "LAPIC" doesn't
mean that the per-vcpu SET_INTERRUPT ioctl stops working. So if
SET_IRQCHIP_TYPE(!none) breaks user-space interrupt controller emulation I
would consider that a bug.

Alex