On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 14:34 +0200, Andre Richter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm quite new to KVM/QEMU internals.
> On recent x86 setups (Sandy/Ivy Bridge with vt-x and vt-d), if I
> attach a PCI device via PCI-Passthrough to a VM,
> I can directly do MMIO with the device's registers or whatsoever hides
> behind it's BAR addresses.
>
> I wonder if there is a way for the Host/VMM to monitor/trap guest
> access to such areas.
> I think this is not what PCI passthrough is intended for, because it
> wants to get the host out of the way for I/O with device.
> But what if a guest goes nuts and starts to flood the interconnect
> with usless transactions to the PCI device?
>
> I would be very thankful for some hints / pointers :)

This is exactly how we debug devices that don't work with PCI
passthrough.  If you use vfio-pci to do PCI assignment (recommended) I
just added code to make it easy to turn this on.  Use the latest
qemu.git and edit hw/vfio_pci.c.  Uncomment /* #define DEBUG_VFIO */ and
change "#define VFIO_ALLOW_MMAP 1" to 0 and rebuild.  All accesses to
the device will be printed to stderr.  Thanks,

Alex