On 04/25/2013 05:47:39 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:

On 25.04.2013, at 11:43, Gleb Natapov wrote:

>> +void kvm_device_put(struct kvm_device *dev)
>> +{
>> +      if (atomic_dec_and_test(&dev->users))
>> +              dev->ops->destroy(dev);
>> +}
>> +
>> +static int kvm_device_release(struct inode *inode, struct file *filp)
>> +{
>> +      struct kvm_device *dev = filp->private_data;
>> +      struct kvm *kvm = dev->kvm;
>> +
>> +      kvm_device_put(dev);
>> +      kvm_put_kvm(kvm);
> We may put kvm only if users goes to zero, otherwise kvm can be
> freed while something holds a reference to a device. Why not make
> kvm_device_put() do it?

Nice catch. I'll change the patch so it does the kvm_put_kvm inside kvm_device_put's destroy branch.

No, please don't. The KVM reference being "put" here is associated with the file descriptor, not with the MPIC object. If you make that change I think you'll have circular references and thus a memory leak, because the vcpus can hold a reference to the MPIC object.

-Scott