"Michael S. Tsirkin" <m...@redhat.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:16:39AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> "Michael S. Tsirkin" <m...@redhat.com> writes:
>> > I'm guessing any compiler that decides to waste memory in this way
>> > will quickly get dropped by users and then we won't worry
>> > about building QEMU with it.
>>
>> There are other responses in the thread here and I don't really care to
>> bikeshed on this issue.
>
> Great. Let's make the bikeshed blue then?

It's fun to argue about stuff like this and I certainly have an opinion,
but I honestly don't care all that much about the offsetof thing.
However...

>> > Not as it's currently planned. Devices can choose
>> > to support a legacy layout in addition to the new one,
>> > and if you look at the patch you will see that that
>> > is exactly what it does.
>>
>> Adding a new BAR most certainly requires bumping the revision ID or
>> changing the device ID, no?
>
> No, why would it?

If we change the programming interface for a device in a way that is
incompatible, we are required to change the revision ID and/or device
ID.

> If a device dropped BAR0, that would be a good reason
> to bump revision ID.
> We don't do this yet.

But we have to drop BAR0 to put it behind a PCI express bus, right?

If that's the case, then device that's exposed on the PCI express bus
must use a different device ID and/or revision ID.

That means a new driver is needed in the guest.

>> Didn't we run into this problem with the virtio-win drivers with just
>> the BAR size changing?
>
> Because they had a bug: they validated BAR0 size. AFAIK they don't care
> what happens with other bars.

I think there's a grey area with respect to the assumptions a device can
make about the programming interface.

But very concretely, we cannot expose virtio-pci-net via PCI express
with BAR0 disabled because that will result in existing virtio-pci Linux
drivers breaking.

> Not we. The BIOS can disable IO BAR: it can do this already
> but the device won't be functional.

But the only way to expose the device over PCI express is to disable the
IO BAR, right?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori