On May 30, 2013, at 10:07 AM, David Daney wrote:

> On 05/28/2013 09:34 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Il 19/05/2013 07:47, Sanjay Lal ha scritto:
>>> - Add API to allow clients (QEMU etc.) to check whether the H/W
>>>   supports the MIPS VZ-ASE.
>>
>> Why does this matter to userspace?  Do the userspace have some way to
>> detect if the kernel is unmodified or minimally-modified?
>>

> There are (will be) two types of VM presented by MIPS KVM:
>
> 1) That provided by the initial patch where a faux-MIPS is emulated and all
> kernel code must be in the USEG address space.
>
> 2) Real MIPS, addressing works as per the architecture specification.
>
> Presumably the user-space client would like to know which of these are
> supported, as well as be able to select the desired model.
>
> I don't know the best way to do this, but I agree that KVM_CAP_MIPS_VZ_ASE is
> probably not the best name for it.
>
> My idea was to have the arg of the KVM_CREATE_VM ioctl specify the desired
> style
>
> David Daney

Hi Paolo, just wanted to add to David's comments.  KVM/MIPS currently supports
the two modes David mentioned, based on a kernel config option.
KVM_CAP_MIPS_VZ_ASE is used by QEMU to make sure that the kvm module currently
loaded supports the H/W virtualization.

Its a bit cumbersome on MIPS, because you really can't fall back to trap and
emulate, since the guest kernel for trap and emulate has a user mode link
address.

I am open to other ways of doing this.

Regards
Sanjay