On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 03:53:21PM +0200, folkert wrote:
> I noticed that on my 3 VMs running server, that there are 10-20 threads
> doing i/o. As the VMs are running on HDDs and not SSDs I think that is
> counterproductive: won't these threads make the HDDs seek back and forth
> constantly?

The worker threads are doing preadv()/pwritev()/fdatasync().  It's up to
the host kernel to schedule that I/O efficiently.

Exposing more I/O to the host gives it a chance to merge or reorder I/O
for optimal performance, so it's a good thing.

On the other hand, if QEMU only did 1 or 2 I/O requests at a time then
the host kernel could do nothing to improve the I/O pattern and the
disks would indeed "seek back and forth constantly".

Stefan