On 07/16/2013 05:41:04 PM, Yoder Stuart-B08248 wrote:

> [...]

Hmm...yes, I guess ranges and interrupt-map fall into the same
basic type of resource category.  I'm not sure it's realistic
to pass entire bus controllers through to user space vs
just individual devices on a bus, but I guess it's theoretically
possible.

Where "theoretically possible" means "we've done it before in other contexts". :-)

So the question is whether we future proof by adding flags
for both ranges and interrupt-map, or wait until there is
an actual need for it.

We don't need to actually add a flag for it, but we should have a flag/type for the resources we do support, so that code written to the current API would recognize that it doesn't recognize an interrupt-map entry if it's added later.

> > > How does the caller know what size buffer to supply for this?
>
> Ping

This is in the v2 RFC... the caller invokes the ioctl which returns
the complete/full size, then re-allocs the buffer and calls the
ioctl again.

OK.

Or, as Alex suggested, just use a sufficiently large buffer to start with.

It's fine for a user of the API to simplify things by using a large fixed buffer, but the API shouldn't force that approach.

-Scott