On Tuesday, September 24, 2013 3:38:39 AM CDT, Ross Boylan wrote:
I would like to have access to the same file system from the host and
the guest.  Can anyone recommend the best way to do this, considering
ease of use, safety (concurrent access from guest and host does not
corrupt) and performance?

For example, I would like to restore files from backup using the host,
but write to filesystems used by the guest.

I have previously used kvm mostly with disks that are based on LVM
logical volumes, e.g. -hda /dev/turtle/Squeeze00.  Since the LVs are
virtual disks, I can't just mount them in the host AFAIK.

Among the alternatives I can think of are using NFS and using NBD.
Maybe there's some kind of loopback device I could use on the disk image
to access it from the host.

I would suggest NFS/CIFS generally speaking. 9p/virtio is an option, but NFS and CIFS are going to be far more stable, tested, and fast.

Host: Debian GNU/Linux wheezy, amd64 architecture, qemu-kvm 1.1.2
Guest: Debian GNU/Linux lenny i386.
Host processor is a recent i5 with good virtualization (flaga: fpu vme
de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush
dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm
constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc
aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3
cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes
xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dtherm
tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase smep erms)

Thanks.
Ross Boylan