On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 23:38 +0100, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

> Does gas support mode switches in one file? I found examples on the
> net (for nasm I think) where people were thunking to real mode and
> back to protected mode in a single assembly file, and they could use
> native mnemonics for each part. (They just switched the assembler's
> mode in sync with execution modes.)

$DEITY yes. See the patch I posted to fix Thunk16.S last week, which
does exactly that. Without that, it's basically unmaintainable.

As Andrew points out, LLVM doesn't support .code16. There's a bug filed.

But frankly, I don't think we should care. Let them fix it. There *is*
active development on LLVM and it *can* be fixed, relatively easily.
It's not like we're talking about requiring fixes to the effectively
unmaintained Microsoft toolchain — which we can't even describe as
"stuck in the 20th century" since it doesn't even support the last C
standard from *that* century either :)

--
dwmw2