Hi,

On 10/01/2014 18:57, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 06:38:06PM +0200, Izik Eidus wrote:
>> It look like commit 6bdb913f0a70a4dfb7f066fb15e2d6f960701d00 break the
>> semantic of set_pte_at_notify.
>> The change of calling first to mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_start, then
>> to set_pte_at_notify, and then to mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_end
>> not only increase the amount of locks kvm have to take and release by
>> factor of 3, but in addition mmu_notifier_invalidate_range_start is zapping
>> the pte entry from kvm, so when set_pte_at_notify get called, it doesn`t
>> have any spte to set and it acctuly get called for nothing, the result is
>> increasing of vmexits for kvm from both do_wp_page and replace_page, and
>> broken semantic of set_pte_at_notify.
>
> Agreed.
>
> I would suggest to change set_pte_at_notify to return if change_pte
> was missing in some mmu notifier attached to this mm, so we can do
> something like:
>
>    ptep = page_check_address(page, mm, addr, &ptl, 0);
>    [..]
>    notify_missing = false;
>    if (... ) {
>               entry = ptep_clear_flush(...);
>         [..]
>       notify_missing = set_pte_at_notify(mm, addr, ptep, entry);
>    }
>    pte_unmap_unlock(ptep, ptl);
>    if (notify_missing)
>       mmu_notifier_invalidate_page_if_missing_change_pte(mm, addr);
>
> and drop the range calls. This will provide sleepability and at the
> same time it won't screw the ability of change_pte to update sptes (by
> leaving those established by the time change_pte runs).

I think it would be better for notifiers that do not support change_pte
to keep getting both range_start and range_end notifiers. Otherwise, the
invalidate_page notifier might end up marking the old page as dirty
after it was already replaced in the primary page table.

Perhaps we can have a flag in the mmu_notifier, similar to the
notify_missing returned value here, that determines in these cases
whether to call the invalidate_range_start/end pair, or just the
set_pte_at_notify.

Thanks,
Haggai