Hi Yury,

[cc'ing Alex Bennee who had some thoughts on this]

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 05:14:23PM +0300, Yury Norov wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 01:07:06PM +0100, Christoffer Dall wrote:
> > This series redesigns parts of KVM/ARM to optimize the performance on
> > VHE systems.  The general approach is to try to do as little work as
> > possible when transitioning between the VM and the hypervisor.  This has
> > the benefit of lower latency when waiting for interrupts and delivering
> > virtual interrupts, and reduces the overhead of emulating behavior and
> > I/O in the host kernel.
> >
> > Patches 01 through 06 are not VHE specific, but rework parts of KVM/ARM
> > that can be generally improved.  We then add infrastructure to move more
> > logic into vcpu_load and vcpu_put, we improve handling of VFP and debug
> > registers.
> >
> > We then introduce a new world-switch function for VHE systems, which we
> > can tweak and optimize for VHE systems.  To do that, we rework a lot of
> > the system register save/restore handling and emulation code that may
> > need access to system registers, so that we can defer as many system
> > register save/restore operations to vcpu_load and vcpu_put, and move
> > this logic out of the VHE world switch function.
> >
> > We then optimize the configuration of traps.  On non-VHE systems, both
> > the host and VM kernels run in EL1, but because the host kernel should
> > have full access to the underlying hardware, but the VM kernel should
> > not, we essentially make the host kernel more privileged than the VM
> > kernel despite them both running at the same privilege level by enabling
> > VE traps when entering the VM and disabling those traps when exiting the
> > VM.  On VHE systems, the host kernel runs in EL2 and has full access to
> > the hardware (as much as allowed by secure side software), and is
> > unaffected by the trap configuration.  That means we can configure the
> > traps for VMs running in EL1 once, and don't have to switch them on and
> > off for every entry/exit to/from the VM.
> >
> > Finally, we improve our VGIC handling by moving all save/restore logic
> > out of the VHE world-switch, and we make it possible to truly only
> > evaluate if the AP list is empty and not do *any* VGIC work if that is
> > the case, and only do the minimal amount of work required in the course
> > of the VGIC processing when we have virtual interrupts in flight.
> >
> > The patches are based on v4.15-rc3, v9 of the level-triggered mapped
> > interrupts support series [1], and the first five patches of James' SDEI
> > series [2].
> >
> > I've given the patches a fair amount of testing on Thunder-X, Mustang,
> > Seattle, and TC2 (32-bit) for non-VHE testing, and tested VHE
> > functionality on the Foundation model, running both 64-bit VMs and
> > 32-bit VMs side-by-side and using both GICv3-on-GICv3 and
> > GICv2-on-GICv3.
> >
> > The patches are also available in the vhe-optimize-v3 branch on my
> > kernel.org repository [3].  The vhe-optimize-v3-base branch contains
> > prerequisites of this series.
> >
> > Changes since v2:
> [...]

So, I had a look at your measurement code, and just want to make a
sanity check that I understand the measurements correctly.

Firstly, if we execute something 100,000 times and summarize the result
for each run, and get anything less than 100,000 (in this case ~300),
without scaling the value, doesn't that mean that in the vast majority
of cases, you are getting 0 as your measurement?

Secondly, are we sure all the required memory barriers are in place?
I know that the IPI send contains an smp_wmb(), but when you read back
the value in the caller, do you have the necessary smp_wmb() on the
handler side and a corresponding smp_rmb() on the sending side?  I'm not
sure what kind of effect missing barriers for a measurement framework
like this would have, but it's worth making sure we're not chasing red
herrings here.

That obviously doesn't change that the overall turnaround time is
improved more in the v1 case than in the v3 case, which I'd like to
explore/bisect in any case.

Thanks,
-Christoffer