Hi Christoffer,

Thanks for your reply.

On 2018-02-27 16:17, Christoffer Dall wrote:
Hi Bhupinder,

On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 03:01:17PM +0530, btha...@codeaurora.org wrote:
I hope it is the right forum to post my query.

I am currently looking at the possibility of adding a new VCPU to a running guest VM in KVM/ARM. I see that currently, it is not allowed to add a new
VCPU to a guest VM, if it is already initialized. The first check in
kvm_arch_vcpu_create() returns failure if it is already initialized.

This would require a major rework of a lot of logic surrounding the GIC
and other parts of KVM initialization.

There was some work done in QEMU to add support for VCPU hotplug:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-arm/2017-05/msg00404.html

But I am looking at the KVM side for enabling adding a new VCPU. If you can point me to any relevant work/resources, which I can refer to then it will
help me.

I don't have any specific pointers, but I was always told that the way
we were going to do CPU hotplug would be to instantiate a large number
of VCPUs, and hotplug would be equivalent to turning on a VCPU which was
previously powered off.

Is this not still a feasible solution?
It should be a feasible solution provided the guest VM is not able to control the onlining/offlining of VCPUs. It should be controlled by the Host.

How does VCPU hotplug work on x86?
On x86, you can add a vcpu through libvirt setvcpu command and it shows up in the guest VM as a new CPU if you do lscpu.

Thanks,
-Christoffer

Regards,
Bhupinder