On 23/05/18 20:45, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 06:24:13PM +0100, Marc Zyngier wrote:
>> On 21/05/18 12:45, Russell King wrote:
>>> +#ifdef CONFIG_ARM_PSCI
>>> +   if (psci_ops.smccc_version != SMCCC_VERSION_1_0) {
>>> +           struct arm_smccc_res res;
>>> +
>>> +           switch (psci_ops.conduit) {
>>> +           case PSCI_CONDUIT_HVC:
>>> +                   arm_smccc_1_1_hvc(ARM_SMCCC_ARCH_FEATURES_FUNC_ID,
>>> +                                     ARM_SMCCC_ARCH_WORKAROUND_1, &res);
>>> +                   if ((int)res.a0 < 0)
>>> +                           break;
>>
>> I just realised that there is a small, but significant difference
>> between this and the arm64 version: On arm64, we have a table of
>> vulnerable implementations, and we try the mitigation on a per-cpu
>> basis. Here, you entirely rely on the firmware to discover whether the
>> CPU needs mitigation or not. You then need to check for a return value
>> of 1, which indicates that although the mitigation is implemented, it is
>> not required on this particular CPU.
>
> Okay, so digging further into the documentation seems to suggest that we
> only need to check the firmware for A72 and A57 CPUs, and given this
> statement:
>
> "Arm recommends that the caller only call this on PEs for which a
>  firmware based mitigation of CVE-2017-5715 is required, or where
>  a local workaround is infeasible."
>
> it seems that the right answer is to ignore the PSCI based methods when
> we have anything but these CPUs.  Do you agree?

For CPUs that are produced by ARM, I agree. I don't know about CPUs
produced by ARM licensees though, so I'd rather use the opposite logic:
Use the firmware unless the CPU is one of those that can be easily
mitigated at EL1 (or isn't affected).

>> But that's probably moot if you don't support BL systems.
>
> Any bL systems with A72 or A57?

Juno is a canonical example of such a system (either 2xA57+4xA53, or
2xA72+4xA53), and there is plenty of partner's silicon in the wild.

Thanks,

        M.