Dear Anton,

Thanks again for all your help. I will try to do it the linux way. Just one
more thing regarding this. I wrote a script in the old Kwant to find the total
conductance and compare it to the one in your notebook. While the two plots are
qualitatively similar, they are not the same. Am I missing something, or am I
calculating different things?

Best, Camilla

(my code):

# Tutorial 2.3.1. Matrix structure of on-site and hopping elements
# ================================================================
#
# Physics background
# ------------------
#  Gaps in quantum wires with spin-orbit coupling and Zeeman splititng,
#  as theoretically predicted in
#   http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v90/i25/e256601
#  and (supposedly) experimentally oberved in
#   http://www.nature.com/nphys/journal/v6/n5/abs/nphys1626.html
#
# Kwant features highlighted
# --------------------------
#  - Numpy matrices as values in Builder

import kwant

# For plotting
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

# For matrix support
import tinyarray
import numpy as np

# define Pauli-matrices for convenience
sigma_0 = tinyarray.array([[1, 0], [0, 1]])
sigma_x = tinyarray.array([[0, 1], [1, 0]])
sigma_y = tinyarray.array([[0, 1j], [-1j, 0]])
sigma_z = tinyarray.array([[1, 0], [0, -1]])

def make_system(a=2, t=1.0, alpha=0.1, e_z=0.05, W=10, L=10):
    # Start with an empty tight-binding system and a single square lattice.
    # `a` is the lattice constant (by default set to 1 for simplicity).
    lat = kwant.lattice.square(a)

    sys = kwant.Builder()

    #### Define the scattering region. ####
    sys[(lat(x, y) for x in range(L) for y in range(W))] = \
        4 * t * sigma_0 + e_z * sigma_z
    # hoppings in x-direction
    sys[kwant.builder.HoppingKind((1, 0), lat, lat)] = \
        -t * sigma_0 - 1j * alpha * sigma_y
    # hoppings in y-directions
    sys[kwant.builder.HoppingKind((0, 1), lat, lat)] = \
        -t * sigma_0 + 1j * alpha * sigma_x

    #### Define the left lead. ####
    lead = kwant.Builder(kwant.TranslationalSymmetry((-a, 0)))

    lead[(lat(0, j) for j in range(W))] = 4 * t * sigma_0
    # hoppings in x-direction
    lead[lat.neighbors()] = \
        -t * sigma_0

    #### Attach the leads and return the finalized system. ####
    sys.attach_lead(lead)
    sys.attach_lead(lead.reversed())

    return sys

def plot_conductance(sys, energies):
    # Compute conductance
    data = []
    for energy in energies:
        smatrix = kwant.smatrix(sys, energy)
        data.append(smatrix.transmission(1, 0))

    pyplot.figure()
    pyplot.plot(energies, data)
    pyplot.xlabel("energy [t]")
    pyplot.ylabel("conductance [e^2/h]")
    pyplot.show()

def main():
    sys = make_system()

    # Check that the system looks as intended.
    kwant.plot(sys)

    # Finalize the system.
    sys = sys.finalized()
    energies = np.linspace(0, 1, 200)
    smatrices = [kwant.smatrix(sys, energy) for energy in energies]

    fig = plt.figure(figsize=(13, 8))
    ax = fig.add_subplot(1, 1, 1)

    ax.plot(energies, [smatrix.transmission(1,0) for smatrix in smatrices],
label='total')

    ax.set_ylabel('$G [e^2/h]$', fontsize='xx-large')
    ax.set_xlabel('$E/t$', fontsize='xx-large')
    ax.legend(fontsize='x-large')

    plt.show()

# Call the main function if the script gets executed (as opposed to imported).
# See <http://docs.python.org/library/__main__.html>.
if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()