Hi Joe,

The main reason for wanting to have the contact wrap around a corner, and not
just add cells to the scattering region, is that it will act as a dephasing
boundary when we perform Landauer-Buttiker equation calculations. I don't want
to plug my own paper, but we recently wrote up a manuscript where this can be
done with a virtual contact, except it was just a straight contact on the side
of the device (it is on arXiv). Now I am hoping to extend that to where the
contact wraps around.  In this way you could engineer where dephasing happens
in a device- something we are also trying to achieve in the lab. You can sort
of do this with Kwant by making two virtual contacts as I showed and then
fixing them to the same voltage in the Landauer-Buttiker calculation, however
the waves injected from the two contacts are out of phase with one another and
will not interfere. I don't think that is a huge issue, but it is not ideal.

Something which I think is related to this, would be to create some sort of
isotropic source inside of a sheet by wrapping a contact around the interior of
a hole. Currently the best way I have seen to inject electrons isotropically
(or close) in the middle of a scattering region is as was shown in the Hanle
valve example. Unfortunately, I have not found a good way to make these leads
couple to the scattering region well. Maybe there is some other way to achieve
this?

Thanks!

Sam