Hi Jan,

> I'm looking for a workaround for a problem I currently face: when
> computing the two-terminal conductance for a system of length L, is
> there a way to get the conductance for the same system of length
> 1,2,..L-1 on the fly (while keeping everything else the same, i.e.,
> same width, same disorder configuration etc.)?

Kwant does not support this. You would need to construct a new system
for each of these cases, which would incur the relatively high cost of
system construction and finalization for every value of L. A possible
workaround would be to construct the scattering system of length L, and
then to add a parameter to your onsite/hopping functions that you can
tune, such that your "effective" scattering region is whatever length
you like. This would be faster, as you would only have to construct and
finalize your system once.

> As far as I understand how the scattering matrix calculation works
> internally, it shouldn't take much longer to compute these
> intermediate values than just getting the final conductance.

I'm not sure what you mean. The default scattering solver does not use
the recursive Green's function method or anything. We (more or less)
solve a linear system in the basis of modes in the lead, and local
degrees of freedom in the scattering region, so that the total solution
vector contains scattering matrix components in the "lead" part, and the
scattering wavefunction in the "scattering region" part.  We set up this
linear system and then pass it off to a sparse linear solver (MUMPS by
default). Given this, it is not immediately obvious to me how we would
compute these "intermediate" values.

Happy Kwanting,

Joe