From: "Maurer, Leon" <lmau...@sandia.gov>
Date: Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 3:45 PM
To: "kwant-discuss@kwant-project.org" <kwant-discuss@kwant-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Kwant] [EXTERNAL] Re: beyond effective mass (limiting kwant to a
range of k)

Hi Joe,

I personally don't really have  any experience with k.p models, so I don't
think I will be much help; hopefully someone else on the mailing list will be
better able to. That being said, these high-k modes are surely present even in
the continuum, no? They are a consequence of the k.p model you are using, *not*
the discretization, so I would agree with what Rafal said: that you need to
make sure your model is valid at the energies you care about first before
discretizing.

I see what you’re saying. Yes, The high-k modes are present in the continuum;
they’re just ignored because they’re outside the Brillouin zone.

The idea of adding "dummy" degrees of freedom and a coupling to open up a gap
seems reasonable. You could also just calculate the scattering matrix *with*
the high-k modes included and see whether there is any scattering to/from the
low-k modes. If there's not you might be able to get away with not doing
anything about them at all?

I was also wondering if there was much coupling between the high- and low-k
modes. How would I extract that info from the scattering matrix?

Thanks.
-Leon