Dear Eleni,

I think this should be doable with not too much of low level work.
* Firstly you probably will want to select only the hoppings that are
close to the 2D cut. You can do this by using "where" parameter to
Current operator (see
https://kwant-project.org/doc/1/reference/generated/kwant.operator.Current#kwant.operator.Current)
* After computing the current across those hoppings, you would need to
call kwant.plotter.interpolate_current. This function only does the
interpolation, but no plotting. Having that interpolation in 3D you
need to slice it and probably take a projection onto 2D plane.
* Finally, the resulting 2D array you can feed to kwant.plotter.streamplot

kwant.plotter.current is essentially a straightforward combination of
kwant.plotter.interpolate_current and kwant.plotter.streamplot

Also: your problem sounds like a useful thing to do. Please let me
know if you succeed, and what you ended up doing (or if you face any
further problems as well).

Best,
Anton