Good morning,

> Hi Joe,  Thank you, now it works!

Nice!

>   But I am a bit confused about the physical meaning of the current,
> created by modes in lead n.   How to plot the real current between the
> two leads?  Imagine,  as the simplest case, that my geometry is
> inversion-symmetric,  so that lead 0 goes into lead 1 under
> inversion.  Then I expect the current to be inversion-symmetric as well.

Summing the current contributions for *all* the scattering states
originating from lead L at an energy E gives you the current you would
measure if the fermi levels in all the leads are at energy E and you
apply an infinitesimal voltage to lead L.

For example if we want to see the current profile if we add an
infinitesimal voltage dV to lead 0:

    wfs = kwant.wave_function(syst, energy=E, params=...)
    J_0 = dV * sum(J(psi) for psi in wfs(0))

This is analogous to the transmission obtained by kwant.smatrix:

    smatrix = kwant.smatrix(syst, energy=E, params=...)
    I_10 = dV * smatrix.transmission(1, 0)

I_10 is the current we would measure in lead 1 after applying dV to lead 0.

In the above I have elided the e^2/h factor for brevity, but hopefully I
have been clear enough to get the point across.

Hope that helps,

Joe