On 12/4/13, Robinson Tryon <bishop.robin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 4:38 AM, Tom Davies <tomc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi :)
>> To be more correct it should really be F.A.Q. and the dots would play
>> even more havoc than spaces often do.  Also we should always say
>> G.N.U./Linux rather than Linux, G.N.O.M.E. and K.D.E.
>>
>> However as acronyms become used more frequently they gradually drop
>> the dots and then drop the insistence of upper-case.  FAQ is old and
>> faq or Faq is likely to become quite common.
>
> Not to plunge too far down the linguistic rabbit-hole, but I believe
> that initialisms only drop upper-case when they are in fact acronyms
> that can be easily pronounced as words. Consider:
>
> GNU is seen as 'Gnu' sometimes, GNOME is often 'Gnome', LASER is
> laser, but (IMHO)
> NSA is still NSA, KDE is rarely Kde, and FAQ is rarely Faq. Even
> though we could pronounce these last two "kiddy" and "fack," we
> pronounce them as individual letters K-D-E and F-A-Q, just as we do
> with F-D-O and others).
>
> But I digress...please ignore Tom and me as we go about our linguistic
> jousting -- unless, of course, you find it as amusing as we do... :-)
>
> --R

I find this off-topic amusing ;-). This lexicalization of acronyms
happens a lot in Spanish, too: apart from ‘láser’, which is an
acronym-gone-word, we have ‘sida’ (Spanish for AIDS), ‘opa’ (or
‘Oferta Pública de Adquisición’, Spanish for business takeover),
‘epoc’ (Spanish for chronic obstructive lung disease, COLD)…

--
Adolfo