On 15.7.2021 15.56, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
On 14.7.2021 9.44, Ilmari Lauhakangas wrote:
I will give a demonstration on how the Gerrit editing of the work-in-progress website works today at 16:00 UTC+0.

The room is https://jitsi.documentfoundation.org/websitedemo

The idea is that someone shares their screen and I guide them in making some simple edits to the website. I will record the session, so it can be shared with others.

Nobody arrived at the demo, but now we have a volunteer willing to test things out. New time is Mon 19 July at 18:00 UTC+0

Here is a recording of me guiding Daniel in doing a simple edit:

https://www.ilmarilauhakangas.fi/gerrit_website_demo.mkv

I am hosting it on my own site, because Nextcloud still has a bug preventing public file shares.

As mentioned in the video, Gerrit 3.4 will have a simplification of the needed steps. They added a "Publish" button into the editor itself.

What is left to the imagination is a preview of the edited site. A link to it would appear in a Gerrit comment by automation.

Further improvements to Gerrit itself might include

- start editing a particular file directly from the Gitiles file list
- full directory listings and navigation in the file adding dialog, so you don't have to know what you are after - ProseMirror plugin for a more word processor -like experience https://prosemirror.net/examples/markdown/

These need an experienced JavaScript developer, but I am constantly recruiting for such a role.

Ilmari