Hi all,
Le 30/09/2026 à 12:44, Neil Roberts a écrit :
Hi,

It might help make the proposal more convincing if you could find some
examples where one these AIs finds some errors.

I think one of the major sources of translation mistakes results from
translating short strings without being able to look at the context. For
example, sometimes it’s hard to tell if an English word is being used as
a noun or a verb, or if it’s the imperative or the infinitive, or
sometimes a single English word should be translated to several
different words in other languages depending on the context. I find it
hard to imagine the AI would be able to help in this area because it
doesn’t have access to the context either.

For that, we provide KeyId versions where you can see the string in context. I agree you need to install this version and search for the string which is not so convenient. >
Otherwise, for detecting spelling mistakes or grammatical errors, maybe
it would make more sense to use normal spelling and grammar checkers
without having to involve AI.

yes, and it's possible to add checks to Weblate for mistakes that are usual or also flags. Maybe this is directions we should explore depending on what is needed.>
Personally I think it would be kind of a shame for TDF to give donaters’
money to these AI companies with questionable ethics. I would prefer to
spend the resources on improving Weblate, for example automatically
adding screenshots for groups of strings so we can easily see where the
string is used.

I agree with you.
Cheers
Sophie

--
Sophie Gautier [email protected]
GSM: +33683901545
IRC: soph
Foundation coordinator
The Document Foundation

--
To unsubscribe e-mail to: [email protected]
Problems? https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/how-to-unsubscribe/
Posting guidelines + more: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/l10n/
Privacy Policy: https://www.documentfoundation.org/privacy

Reply via email to