Jacco de Leeuw wrote:

It seems the replies from l2tpd do not reach the XP client. Could
you check with tcpdump on eth0/lo to see where these are going?

eth1, the public interface, shows isakmp and ESP packets. ipsec0 shows the l2tp packets. eth0 and lo don't show anything for l2tp.

Also check the troubleshooting section at:
http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/freeswan-l2tp.html#Troubleshooting

All I've found so far is info on tracing IKE and PPP, not L2TP (at least for XP).

Error 678 does not really ring a bell with me (the MS info on this
error is hopeless). Perhaps enabling PPP logging on the XP machine
would help.

C:\windows\tracing\ppp.txt shows nothing.

[lns default]
ip range = 206.181.252.108-206.181.252.109
local ip = 206.181.252.110

Hm, these look like public IP addresses. I don't know the details of your setup but are you sure this is what you want?

Yes, for this particular test bed.................

I'm still stumped. It acts like the l2tp layer is not setting up right, but I'm not sure how to get more info from the XP side.

Thanks
Russ

Express yourself with the new version of MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/