Nope, everything is fully public (ie, there is no NAT). For the sake of
testing, we're using 10.0.0.0/8 IPs as the IPs pppd assigns (after contacting
radius), and a NAT server running on the VPN server. There is no NAT between
the VPN server and the VPN client.

With regard to 'rightsubnetwithin=0.0.0.0/0' being insecure, we want the
entire world to be able to access the VPN server. The security is established
by requiring an RSA key pair (generated by our CA) and a known username/
password to a radius. If we use rightsubnet=vhost:%no,%priv instead, would
the box be open to the world?

Current kernel 2.4.22 (distro is slackware 9.1)

Thanks a lot for your help (and well done on the freeswan/l2tpd documentation.
I wouldn't be this far without it :))

Arya