Hi.  Here are a few interesting and important campaigns and events deserving
of your attention.  I signed the CPD statement this morning, intend listening to
Air America on Thursday and attending one of the two excellent events that
night.
Iraq will likely be mystified for a bit before all Iraqi's realize they had a
Potemkin
election, the US has no intention of leaving or allowing real governance and
they
must expel the occupiers.  Whatever the story line, our job is to press ending
the
occupation through many and varied ways.  All the material below is relevent.
Ed

PS  Semi-buried in today's LA Times (A-6) is the incredible story that the
Coalition Authority (pre-CIA stooge Allawi) cannot account for $9 billion of
Iraqi
funds, thru last June.  Releasing this monstrous corruption today is probably
deliberate.  Next, they'll start stealing our elections.

  CAMPAIGN FOR PEACE AND DEMOCRACY STATEMENT
  CONDEMNING ATTACKS ON IRAQI TRADE UNIONISTS

          Please join Stanley Aronowitz, Medea Benjamin, Norman Birnbaum,
Eileen Boris, Carl Bromley, Noam Chomsky, Joshua Cohen, Marc Cooper, Richard
Deats, Daniel Ellsberg,  Carlos Espinosa, Gertrude Ezorsky, Barry Finger,
Barbara Garson, Jill Godmilow, Linda Gordon, Gary Groth, Mina Hamilton, Thomas
Harrison, Doug Henwood, Michael Hirsch, Adam Hochschild, Allen Hunter, Doug
Ireland, Joanne Landy, Hany Khalil, Jesse Lemisch, Mark LeVine, Nelson
Lichtenstein, Betty Reid Mandell, Marvin Mandell, David McReynolds, Timothy
Mitchell, David Newby, Molly Nolan, David Oakford, Mike Parker, Glenn Perusek,
Katha Pollitt, Nancy Romer, Ruth Rosen, Matthew Rothschild, Jennifer Scarlott,
Jay Schaffner, Jason Schulman, Lynne Schwartz, Stephen Shalom, Sunil Sharma,
Adam Shatz, Alan Sokal, Chris Toensing,  Howard Wallace, Juanita Webster,
Immanuel Wallerstein, Lois Weiner, Naomi Weisstein, Reginald Wilson, John
Womack, Jr., Kent Worcester, and others in signing this statement.
          To add your name and to see the full list of signers and their
identifying affiliations, please go to www.cpdweb.org
  Thank you,
  Joanne Landy, Thomas Harrison, Jennifer Scarlott
  Co-Directors, Campaign for Peace and Democracy

  OPPONENTS OF THE OCCUPATION CONDEMN
  ATTACKS ON IRAQI TRADE UNIONISTS

          We, who opposed the U.S.-led war on Iraq and who call for an
immediate end to the occupation of that country, are appalled by the torture
and assassination in Baghdad on January 4, 2005 of Hadi Salih, International
Officer of the Iraqi Federation of Trade Unions (IFTU). There are also
disturbing reports of intimidation, death threats and murders targeting other
IFTU members, trade unionists in general, and political activists.

          We utterly condemn the assassination of Hadi Salih. We call upon all
sides in the conflict in Iraq to respect the rights of non-combatants as
required by international law and to recognize the rights of workers to
organize freely, without threat or harm, in trade unions of their own choosing
in accordance with International Labor Organization (ILO) standards.

          We believe that the physical targeting of trade unionists is in no
way politically or morally acceptable, even though we disagree strongly with
the IFTU's support of UN Resolution 1546, which supports the U.S. military
presence in Iraq. This resolution has been used by the Bush Administration to
justify keeping U.S. troops in the country.

          We also oppose the victory of those elements of the resistance whose
agenda is to impose a repressive, authoritarian regime on the Iraqi people,
whether that regime is Baathist or theocratic-fundamentalist. We do not know
whether such authoritarian elements have gained decisive control over the
resistance to the U.S. forces and their Iraqi and international allies. We do
know, however, that the continuing occupation of Iraq, which grows more brutal
with every passing day, only strengthens these elements, increases their
influence over the resistance and makes their ultimate victory more likely.

          We further oppose the occupation because it is part and parcel of an
imperial U.S. foreign policy that shores up undemocratic regimes like those of
Saudi Arabia and Egypt, gives one-sided support to Israel against the
Palestinians, and promotes unjust, inequitable economic policies throughout the
world. Not only in Iraq but throughout the Middle East and globally U.S.
foreign and military policy either directly or indirectly subverts freedom and
democracy.

  To add your name, go to www.cpdweb.org
  For further information about the issue,  contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  ***