OC WEEKLY

Vol. 10 No. 42 June 24 - 30, 2005

Diary of a Mad County

by STEVE LOWERY

Thursday, June 16

I feel the earth move under my seat while eating lunch
in the office. “Oh man, that’s an earthquake,” says
Theo Douglas, but I don’t pay much mind to Theo, and I
mean ever. But when I see the blood drain from
fearless reporter Scott Moxley’s face, I get nervous.
Scott, who’s not originally from California, says,
“What are we supposed to do?” To which I, a native
Californian, begin to pace in ever-tightening circles,
much in the same manner as brain-damaged zoo animals.
My usual response during an earthquake is “Lemme sleep
five more minutes, Mom.” Sylmar quake? Slept through
it. Northridge? Don’t remember Northridge, except that
after it was over I had to go out and talk to people
whose windows had been broken by the quake and ask
them what they were going to do and they all said,
“Get new windows.” I wrote that for the paper I was
working for at the time, and they ran it as part of an
article about local heroism. Now, I do know one thing
you’re supposed to have in case of an earthquake is a
flashlight, and this may explain why a good deal of
the Garden Grove Police Department shows up at the
Westminster home of Theresa Dang today. Or they may
just be screwing with her. The cops are on high alert
because word on the street is that Dang took an
officer’s flashlight—DUH DUH DUUUUUUH!!!—which has
Homeland Security officials considering raising the
terror level to eggshell. The cops say they have
videotape of Dang taking the flashlight during a
demonstration against Minuteman leader Jim Gilchrist.
About 300 people showed up May 25 in front of the
Women’s Civic Club of Garden Grove where Gilchrist was
to speak. Things got out of hand, with protesters
blaming cops for being too aggressive and police
blaming protesters for hurling stuff at them. All of
this distracts from the central issue—A FLASHLIGHT HAS
GONE MISSING, PEOPLE! Dang says she’s being targeted
because she made remarks critical of the cops’
handling of the protest. The cops say they are well
within their rights to search for the flashlight.
Defending the search, Lt. Mike Handfield says, “We
have a video of her taking the flashlight. We are
going to try and do everything we can to recover the
flashlight.” All of this begs the question: What kind
of response do you think you’d get from the cops if
you called up and requested they go all Daryl Gates
because you believed your flashlight was being held in
a neighbor’s house? I’m guessing it probably wouldn’t
be the same response, even if it was a really nice
flashlight, like the best flashlight ever, with a
Blaupunkt and olive bar. As it turned out, Garden
Grove police never found their flashlight, which,
tragically, was just two days away from retirement.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>