From: Joseph Maizlish
Sent: Sunday, November 13, 2005 11:33 AM
Subject: More on Peretz

Amir Peretz at the Rabin Memorial Rally: The way of Olso is alive
"I will continue on your path, Yitzchak!"

Yesterday, on the podium at Rabin Square, he laid aside his speeches as a
workers' leader and strike organizer. Yesterday, in front of two hundred
thousand people and at the side of President Clinton, Amir Peretz tried to
show that he deserves to be considered a statesman. Addressing the late PM
he said: "If we had gone out of the Territories we would have overcome
internal violence".

By Meir Swisa and Menachem Rahat
Ma'ariv, November 13 - translation from Hebrew by TOI
Hebrew original in printed edition only

It was not the official announcement of the primary elections results, nor
even the belated, grudging conceding phone call from the outgoing Labour
Party leader Shimon Peres, which made Amir Peretz truly the new party
leader. Rather, it was the speech delivered yesterday night to a crowd
estimated at 200,000, with former US president Bill Clinton at his side,
which set the seal on the new political reality.

The newly-elected Peretz had not been originally scheduled to speak at the
rally, the original two keynote speakers being Clinton and Peres. His name
was added to the speakers' list on the last moment  at the personal request
of Yitzchak Rabin's daughter Dalia, after publication of the Labour
primaries results.

A large part of Peretz's speech was delivered as a direct address to the
assassinated Rabin:

"Ten years ago your voice reverberated across this square, setting new goals
for the state of Israel. You have aroused hopes, you made the young start
dreaming of a changed country. Yes, your voice echoed and reverberated -
until the assassin's bullets silenced it. Ten years ago, on that fateful
night, you have said that violence undermines the foundations of democracy -
not knowing that a violent death awaited you just around the corner. Ten
years on, and the violence is still very much with us, Yitzchak. The country
is full of violence. We have not succeeded in isolating it. It has spread
beyond the areas of confrontation with the Palestinians, it has become
rooted among us. (...) If we had left the Territories, stopped the violence
which issues from there at its source, we would have also overcome the
violence in our midst".

Peretz defined his basic ideology as The Moral Roadmap: "Continued Rule in
the Territories is a recipe for sinking into a morass, a loss of values and
morality in Israel. We need a Moral Roadmap, whose guiding star is respect
for human dignity. A Moral Roadmap is ending the occupation and signing a
permanent agreement. A Moral Roadmap is defending the value of each and
every person in Israel - their dignity, their families, their livelihood."

"The passage of ten years has in no way lessened the sharpness of longing
for you, Yitzchak. You were not a man to boast and make arrogant and
fanciful promises, but to take hard decisions, stick to them and implement
them. You are not with us today, but your way is vibrantly alive. Some try
to deny it, other decry it in a multitude of ways, but it will not avail
them: the way of Oslo is alive, it continues the life which was denied you,
cut off. It is alive in every corner, everybody knows that it offers our
only hope".

Peretz concluded on a personal note: "I am the child who came to Israel
fifty years ago, at the age of four. I am the child who grew up in the time
of the Fedayun [cross-border inflitratrors of the 1950's] and nowadays lives
with his family  under the shadow of the Qasam rockets. The children of my
hometown Sderot have their sleep troubled by the fear of the Qasams, while
their contemporaries in Gaza wake up with the sonic booms and the
anti-terrorist preventive acts. I have a dream, Yitzchak. I dream that one
day the no-man's-land between Sderot and Beit Hanun will flourish. I dream
of factories going up there, and recreation areas, and playgrounds where our
children and the Palestinian children will play together and build a common
future. When this dream comes true I could go to your grave,  face you and
say: Rest in peace, Yitzchak. You have earned your final, undisturbed rest.
You were murdered, yet you won!".

for a general report of the Rabin rally:
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/644457.html

***

Hi.  I almost called this 'the two Bobs.'  Two of the best reporters and
political analysts writing today headline events at the same time,
tomorrow.  Fortunately Robert Fisk is speaking tonight at UCLA
so folks can enjoy that rare privelege and then fight for Bob Scheer's
words to be read by the broadest audience, tomorrow.  Those of us
who intended to hear Fisk at USC - at the same time - have to choose.
Sigh.  -Ed

 For Immediate Release:
November 14, 2005

Contact:
Marcy Winograd
310. 795-2322

Karen Pomer
310.463.7025

MEDIA ADVISORY:

LA Times Readers/Subscribers to Picket Outside Times Building
To Protest the Recent Controversial  Firing of Popular Longtime Columnist
Robert Scheer

"I've been a punching bag for Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh
for years and I think the paper finally collapsed" -- Robert Scheer, Friday,
Nov. 11th

WHAT: Readers to Picket LA Times to Protest the Firing of Columnist
Robert Scheer and Limited Coverage of Local Anti-War Movement

WHO: LA Times Readers and Grassroots  Peace Activists from Across Los
Angeles

WHEN: Tuesday, Nov. 15 at Noon

WHERE: Outside, LA Times Building
First Street Entrance
202 W. 1st St. (at Spring St.)
Los Angeles, CA 90012

LOS ANGELES  --  After a week of Internet rumors,  it was officially
announced on Friday, November 11,  that LA Times publisher Jeff Johnson
fired Robert Scheer,  who had worked at Times for 30 years, the last 12
years as a  weekly columnist on the paper's op-ed page. Scheer had a
substantial following and very often his columns would be on the top of
paper's list of most e-mailed stories.

An announcement of the protest went out this weekend to lists of grassroots
activists read in part:
''Robert Scheer's anti-war voice is critical. Los Angeles Times readers will
not tolerate the Paper's op-ed page tilting further to the right with the
firing of Scheer and the inclusion of far-right columnists Max Boot and
Jonah Goldberg with no one holding Scheer?s spot as a passionate and
contrarian national progressive voice.''

A delegation of protesters will request a meeting with publisher Jeff
Johnson, who reportedly has privately told people that he hated every word
that Scheer wrote.

''We want to read a full-spectrum of voices on the LA Times op-ed page and
know that our daily newspaper will cover the anti-war movement in Los
Angeles,'' said Marcy Winograd, one of the organizers of the protest.  "For
many of us who have been loyal subscribers to the Times for decades, this is
a sad and ominous moment."

As soon as word got out that Scheer was fired, readers launched a e-mail
campaign of letters of protest to LA Times editor Dean Baquet and publisher
Jeff Johnson. Many subscribers, perhaps hundreds, have canceled their
subscriptions in protest of the firing.

Outside the Times Building on Tuesday, protesters will distribute slices of
Wonderbread to signify the blanding of the paper, while one of the activists
will perform guerilla theater as Jeff Johnson's billionaire spokesman on the
issue of parent company Tribune's efforts to make the paper hew to a
stricter pro-corporate agenda.

Signs will have such slogans as:

LA Times Publisher:
Did you hate every word Scheer wrote
exposing lies that led us into the War in Iraq?

LA Times Publisher:
Did you hate every word Scheer wrote
exposing the lies about Wen Ho Lee?

LA Times Publisher:
Did you hate every word Scheer wrote
exposing the lies of the NY Times' Judith Miller?

Robert Scheer is scheduled to appear on the national radio and TV news show
Democracy Now! on Monday Nov. 14.
KPFK 90.7 FM at 6AM and 9AM, DirecTV: Link TV, Channel 375, DISH Network:
Link TV channel 9410 and Free Speech TV, channel 9415.

Robert Scheer's Nov. 11 statement::

"On Friday, I was fired as a columnist by the publisher of the Los Angeles
Times, where I have worked for thirty years. The publisher Jeff Johnson, who
has offered not a word of explanation to me, has privately told people that
he hated every word that I wrote. I assume that mostly refers to my exposing
the lies used by President Bush to justify the invasion of Iraq.

Fortunately sixty percent of Americans now get the point but only after tens
of thousand of Americans and Iraqis have been killed and maimed as the
carnage spirals out of control. My only regret is that my pen was not
sharper and my words tougher."

LA Times article on the changes to op-ed pages:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lat11nov11,0,808176.story?coll=la-tot-promo&track=morenews

###

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/7gSolB/TM
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>