I'm sorry.  These sat in my funnybone and demanded distribution.
What could I do?  What can I say, except read them twice?  -Ed

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/31/politics/31mirth.html?th&emc=th

So, Guy Walks Up to the Bar, and Scalia Says...
By ADAM LIPTAK
NY Times: December 31, 2005
Justice Antonin Scalia's wit is widely admired, and now it has been
quantified. He is, a new study concludes, 19 times as funny as Justice Ruth
Bader Ginsburg.

Transcripts of oral arguments at the United States Supreme Court have long
featured the notation "[laughter]" after a successful quip from a justice or
lawyer. But until October 2004, justices were not identified by name, making
it impossible to construct a reliable index of judicial wit.
That has now changed, and Jay D. Wexler, a law professor at Boston
University, was quick to exploit the new data to analyze the relative
funniness of the justices. His study, which covers the nine-month term that
began that October, has just been published in a law journal called The
Green Bag.

Justice Scalia was the funniest justice, at 77 "laughing episodes." On
average, he was good for slightly more than one laugh - 1.027, to be
precise - per argument.

Justice Stephen G. Breyer was next, at 45 laughs. Justice Ginsburg produced
but four laughs. Justice Clarence Thomas, who rarely speaks during
arguments, gave rise to no laughter at all.

Of course, what passes for humor at the Supreme Court would probably not
kill at the local comedy club. Consider, for instance, the golden
opportunity on Halloween this year when a light bulb in the courtroom's
ceiling exploded during an argument.

It takes two justices, it turns out, to screw up a light bulb joke.

"It's a trick they play on new chief justices all the time," Chief Justice
John G. Roberts Jr., who joined the court that month, said of the explosion.

"[Laughter.]"

"Happy Halloween," Justice Scalia retorted.

"[Laughter.]"

And then, the kicker. "We're even more in the dark now than before," Chief
Justice Roberts said.

"[Laughter.]"

On the other hand, in a January argument in a statute-of-limitations case,
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy made an amusing observation about the absurdity
of modern life.

"Recently I lost my luggage," Justice Kennedy said. "I had to go to the lost
and found at the airline, and the lady said has my plane landed yet."

"[Laughter.]"

Professor Wexler concedes that his methodology is imperfect. The court
reporters who insert the notations may, for instance, be unreliable or
biased.

The simple notation "[laughter]" does not, moreover, distinguish between "a
series of small chuckles" and "a joke that brought the house down." Nor,
Professor Wexler said, does it separate "the genuine laughter brought about
by truly funny or clever humor and the anxious kind of laughter that arises
when one feels nervous or uncomfortable or just plain scared for the
nation's future."

Partisans of particular justices may raise objections as well. The raw
numbers for Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, who produced 12 laughs,
understate his wit, as he missed more than 30 arguments in the term because
of illness. He died in September.

Justice Ginsburg's poor showing may in part be a matter of misperception
based on her grave mien.

"It is widely believed that Justice Ginsburg doesn't even laugh herself,
much less make others laugh," Professor Wexler, a law clerk for her in 1998
and 1999, wrote. "I can attest that she does, in fact, laugh. Maybe not
often, perhaps not loudly or with great vigor and the wild waving of arms,
but laugh she does."

Justice Scalia's numbers may similarly overstate his wit, if only because
the courtroom expects quips from him and may laugh at the least provocation.
Also, he tried hard.

"He plays to the crowd," said Pamela S. Karlan, a Stanford law professor and
Supreme Court advocate who has garnered her own share of laughter notations
in the transcripts.

Sometimes, the laughter that apparently filled the courtroom is hard to
comprehend. Chief Justice Roberts, for instance, got a laugh for this
observation at an October argument on assisted suicide: "The relationship
between the states and the federal government has changed a little since
Gibbons v. Ogden," a landmark decision in 1824 about national regulation of
the economy.

Lawyers get laughs sometimes, too, but it is a dangerous business. In the
guidebook the court provides to lawyers preparing to argue before it, there
is this stern warning: "Attempts at humor usually fall flat."

Thomas C. Goldstein, a Washington lawyer who appears before the court
frequently, said humor "is a land mine."

"You have to follow the justices' lead," Mr. Goldstein said. "You have to be
a straight man."

Lawyers confuse one justice with another surprisingly often, and those
mix-ups are, of course, an opportunity for humor.

Last November, Sri Srinivasan, a government lawyer, apologized to Justice
David H. Souter for referring to him as Justice Scalia.

"Thank you," Justice Souter said, with characteristic self-deprecation, "but
apologize to him."

"[Laughter.]"

The New York Times, building on Professor Wexler's pioneering work, analyzed
the available transcripts for the term that began this October. The mood
under Chief Justice Roberts has brightened, the analysis found, with the
average number of justice-generated laughs per argument rising to 2.9 from
2.6 the previous term.

In the current term, the Times analysis found, there has also been movement
in the funniness-of-individual-justices department. Justice Breyer has taken
the lead, at 28 laughs, edging out Justice Scalia, with 25. They also tied
in the largest-number-of-jokes-in-a-single-argument category, each squeezing
five into a single hour.

Chief Justice Roberts made a strong early showing, coming in third, with 13.

"It looks like he'll be competitive," Professor Wexler said in an interview.

Justice Clarence Thomas continues to bring up the rear, with what is shaping
up to be another jokeless term for him.

A "laughter" notation is relatively common, having been awarded 1,676 times
since 1979. "Mirth" has made only six appearances, all in 1987 and 1988.

Professor Wexler said the new data could be refined further, given that some
justices ask more questions and thus give themselves more opportunities to
provoke laughter. As with baseball batters, the true test is not in the
absolute number of hits but in success divided by opportunity.

But Professor Wexler said he had decided not to pursue laughter-per-question
research.

"That's not going to happen," he said. "Unless I get a grant."

Jonathan Corum contributed reporting for this article.

***

http://select.nytimes.com/2005/12/31/opinion/31dowd.html?th&emc=th

Rein in the Stallion Sex
By MAUREEN DOWD
NY Times: December 31, 2005

Conservatives are having fun e-mailing around the sex scenes in Barbara
Boxer's new novel, "A Time to Run." A particular favorite is the equine
entwine on Page 210, when "these two fierce animals were coerced into their
majestic coupling by at least six people."

"The stallion approached, nostrils flared, hooves lifting with delicate
precision, the wranglers hanging on grimly," Ms. Boxer wrote with her
co-author, Mary-Rose Hayes. Soon, "the stallion rubbed his nose against the
mare's neck and nuzzled her withers. She promptly bit him on the shoulder
and, when he attempted to mount, instantly became a plunging devil of teeth
and hooves."

The mare's owner remarks that she's hotblooded because she's from Argentina.

Ms. Boxer's literary alter ego, Ellen Fischer, the liberal 5-foot-2 senator
from California, also has her share of ecstatic biting and nuzzling.

As when Greg kisses Ellen "long and deep."

"Ellen had never tasted such pent-up, aggressive determination and desire.
... She bit at his lips, heard her own gasping breath - and she knew she
really must stop this. ... She felt his competent hands undressing her, and
they fell together through the darkness onto his bed. Greg's naked body was
long and elegant, and they meshed with ease and grace."

Reading pols' strained attempts at steamy scenes is discomfiting. Like
thinking about your parents and sex, it gives you the heebie-jeebies.

"You just don't want to imagine any of these people in their underwear," one
Democrat said, laughing.

Besides, Washington types are more consumed with the line-item veto than
majestic meshing. The modern history of sex in the capital has been more
maladroit du seigneur than droit du seigneur. From Bob Packwood to Clarence
Thomas, the men in the middle of sex scandals always seem more dysfunctional
than sensual.

The adolescent Bill and Monica pantry trysts were anything but sultry. The
president was tormented, dismissing the dalliance as a mere antidote for
Oval Office tension.

Monica described their final rendezvous in drab terms: "This was another one
of those occasions when I was babbling on about something, and he just
kissed me, kind of to shut me up, I think."

Even the most glamorous hookup - J.F.K. and Marilyn Monroe - lost some of
its film noir allure after a report of how Marilyn had robotically described
it to her shrink: "Marilyn Monroe is a soldier. ... The first duty of a
soldier is to obey her commander in chief."

A decade ago, Clintonites had fun passing around passages from Newt
Gingrich's thriller "1945," written with William Forstchen, featuring such
titillations as biting foreplay, "pouting sex kitten," "exotic mistress" and
"after-bout inhalation."

At one point, the mistress of the president's chief of staff sits "athwart"
her lover's chest and hisses that he must tell her a secret "or I will make
you do terrible things." (Kinkier than the Contract With America?)

When Scooter Libby got in trouble over Valerie Plame, The New Yorker dug out
his 1996 book, "The Apprentice," and reviewed its sex scenes. Lauren Collins
took note of its homoeroticism and incest, and compared some passages to
Penthouse Forum.

Scooter had his own animal erotica: "At age ten the madam put the child in a
cage with a bear trained to couple with young girls so the girls would be
frigid and not fall in love with their patrons. They fed her through the
bars and aroused the bear with a stick when it seemed to lose interest."

Proving that conservatives are not as prudish in fiction as in legislation,
Lynne Cheney's 19th-century Wild West book, "Sisters," a sort of distaff
"Brokeback Mountain," featured lesbian romps and, oddly, a Republican vice
president who dies of a heart attack during sex with his mistress.

In Mrs. Cheney's 1981 novel, a woman says of her lesbian lover: "How well
her words describe our love - or the way it would be if we could remove all
impediments, leave this place and join together. ... Our lives would flow
together, twin streams merging into a single river."

William Cohen and Gary Hart, a bipartisan team who wrote the 1985 "Double
Man" novel, used similar imagery for the coupling of a senator and a lovely
covert C.I.A. agent: "It was fierce, two rivers of energy rushing together,
gloriously, powerfully."

Water metaphors can be hazardous to literature, especially when they flood
the Potomac.

Clean water saves lives.  Help make water safe for our children.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/CHhStB/VREMAA/E2hLAA/7gSolB/TM
Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>