Former Pasadena Mayor Paparian Runs for Congress as Green
Paparian 4 Congress 21 Feb 2006 18:30 GMT

Green Candidate for Congress, Former Pasadena Mayor Bill Paparian
Contrary, perhaps, to its stodgy image, Pasadena Mayor Bill Paparian, is
running for Congress as a Green; ending the war in Iraq and the impeachable
conduct of this President will be key issues in the campaign, as well as
the collaboration of the Dem incumbent with the rogue administration

NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS * NEWS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Paparian announces run for Congress

CONTACT: Bill Paparian 626.795.1750 Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Bill Paparian, former Pasadena Mayor, announced today that he will be a
candidate for Congress in the November General Election for the 29th
Congressional District.

“It is time to end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home,” Paparian
said. “It is time to stand up to the President’s warrantless wiretapping of
American emails and phone calls. It’s time to act. That’s why I’m running.”

A native Californian, Paparian has been an attorney in private practice in
Pasadena for more than 25 years. In the first post 9/11 civil rights case
involving FBI misconduct, Paparian successfully represented
environmentalist and anti-war activist Josh Connole who had been wrongfully
accused of acts of domestic terrorism.

As Mayor of Pasadena, Paparian’s strong support of the military and
veterans was recognized by the Secretary of the Navy who awarded Paparian
the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal. Paparian served as an
elected public official in Pasadena for 12 years, from 1987-1999.

“I am running because our congressman needs to stand up to this rogue
administration and say ‘Enough! What you are doing is wrong and my
constituents and I have had enough’ “ Paparian said. “(Democratic incumbent
Adam) Schiff isn’t doing that.”

“The president’s war isn’t working. Americans are dying and thousands are
coming home horribly maimed because Iraq is now in the middle of its own
civil war. The two factions in Iraq hate each other, but they do agree on
one thing: until we are gone, the Americans are a target,” Paparian said.

“Congress most hold this President accountable for his decision to violate
the constitution and order warrant-less wiretaps on thousands of American
phone calls and emails.

“Congress must call for a complete investigation of the Vice-President, in
no uncertain terms, now that his top aide, Scooter Libby, has testified
that the Vice-President himself ordered Libby to break the law and leak
classified information. “

We need a representative in Congress who will dare to stand up to bad ideas
and stand up for the people of this District, according to Paparian.

“Schiff went to Congress full of energy and ideas, but these days he is all
but invisible. He has become a collaborator with this President by his weak
or non-existent opposition to the war and erosion of American
constitutional rights.”

“Make no mistake,” Paparian said. “Schiff is a nice guy, and probably a
fine neighbor. But whether he is unwilling or unable to do what we need him
to do – to take the risk of losing his ‘safe’ congressional seat in order
to tell this President ‘no more’ hardly matters. Schiff has let us down.”

Paparian, a Green, will focus his campaign on immediately ending the war in
Iraq, and standing up to what he sees as the remorseless, incompetent,
illegal conduct of this administration.

The 29th Congressional District covers an area surrounding Pasadena, and
includes Glendale and parts of Burbank.

CONTACT: Bill Paparian 626.795.1750 Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subscribe: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Digest: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Help: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>